Monday, January 9, 2012

Challenges

I've been around a lot of women lately who are struggling. They are struggling with their marriage, they are struggling with their separations, they are struggling with their coping mechanisms.  Different paths, different situations, yet all are struggling.


As I was running last week I had this realization: Every path has its own challenges.  I have 3 different paths that I choose for my runs.  The first has has hills and horrible wind for the first mile.  The second path has some hills, isn't well kept leaving ice on the path, and is a little shorter than what I desire.  The third path is a flat trail, that just keeps going for about 16 miles.  I choose my path based on the weather, and the length I'm desiring to run.  So last week when I ran 9 miles, I chose the flat path.  I knew it would cover the distance I needed, and because it was flat I figured it would be easier.  That was when I realized this life lesson.  This flat path did have challenges.  They were different challenges than the wind, or the hills, but a challenge none the less.  I was running straight, down a trail, no curves, little change in scenery, just flat and straight for 9 miles! It was long, and it just kept going, and going.  It was a mentally challenging path.


What a powerful analogy for life.  Every path has its challenges.  We so often think, if this one area would change, if this path didn't have the hills, it would be so much easier.  Until we get on that path just to realize, it may not have hills, but its covered with ice.  My previous pastor always said, "the grass may be greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed." 


So I challenge you today: whatever situation you are facing, whatever your path, your struggles, don't put your solution in changing paths.  Because I promise you the challenges will be there.  They will just be different.  If you are struggling in your marriage, and you think leaving is the answer to happiness, be warned, every path has its challenges.  The single path is not necessarily easier- it just has different challenges.  If you are struggling with being a single mom, and you think finding that special man will take your problems away, be warned, every path has its challenges.  


Challenges are just part of life.  They build character.  They make us stronger.  I would not be the powerful, confident woman of God I am today if it weren't for the challenges in my life.  So as you make your decisions, as you face your struggles, remember what Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) You will not be able avoid challenges, and if you change paths just to do so you find yourself frustrated and confused.  Rather seek Jesus in those times of trouble.  He has overcome them and will lead you to overcome them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment