Friday, December 30, 2011

Year of Favor

To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, 
And the day of vengeance of our God;
       To comfort all who mourn,       
 To console those who mourn in Zion,       
To give them beauty for ashes,       
The oil of joy for mourning,       
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;       
That they may be called trees of righteousness,       
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.” Isaiah 61:2-3

2012 is upon us.  And with it comes hope.  Hope of healing, hope of a new beginning, hope of seeing God's promises fulfilled.  For the past week I've been stewing over these verses.  In 2011 I mourned.  I not only mourned the loss of my husband, but I lost my closest sister.  Yet God promises me that the acceptable year of the Lord is upon us!  Jesus declared this promise, as He quoted Isaiah 61:1-2, saying "today is this scripture fulfilled!"


So as I read this, I understand that Jesus has already made it a reality.  The acceptable year of the Lord has come for me, a mourner.  The acceptable year means the year of God's favor, desires, and plans coming to pass in my life.  I could use some of that right now, how about you?


When God singles out a particular group to give a promise too, its important.  And its exciting when I qualify for that group.  He declares that He is the comforter of those who mourn, which would be an amazing fact all on its own.  In 2011, God has brought me comfort, but as the year of His favor and desire approaches in my life, I expect to see the rest of this promise fulfilled!  To give me beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness. 


 I have been walking around covered in ashes, the residue of my past covering the beauty of what lies ahead.  I have been mourning.  I've experienced bouts of situational depression, and unable to see the joy in the midst of my current situation.  And the spirit of heaviness has weighed on my heart.  I've carried worries and fears: will I ever move on, how can I raise a son alone, is there a man of God out there for me, and will my son ever know a father's love again?


But 2012 is coming! And it will be the year of God's desire and favor in my life.  His plan, His desire for me is to comfort me.  He is removing the ashes, and let the beauty of who I have become shine forth.  He is pouring the oil of joy over me, pushing away the pain of mourning and depression.  And He is taking away the heaviness of the burdens, questions and fears that I have carried, and replacing it with praise!  I can hear those thoughts, but confidently turn to God and praise Him knowing He has it all under control and is taking good care of me!


God has the best exchange policy! He does not require me to "do" anything.  I don't have to wash the ashes off, or pour joy on myself.  He takes the dirty, depressed, and discouraged, and replaces it with beauty, joy, and praise.  No questions asked. No requirements to be met.  


I'm welcoming 2012 with excitement.  This will be the acceptable year of the Lord for me.  I'm going to give Him everything and watch Him turn it around for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment